What: Volunteering @ Light the Night
When: Thursday, September 11, 4:45p – 8:00p
Where: North side of Uptown Circle in Normal, IL
Description: Depending on the weather and people’s interest, the event could have anywhere from 250 – 800 people show up. 1,000 sets of lights to ready to be distributed (front and rear), and anything left over will be distributed via other channels. It’s a really nice way to help cyclists ride more safely at night.
About 12-15 volunteers are needed for the first shift (4:45-6) and about 5 for the second shift (5:45-7). A few folks are also needed to help tear it all down at 8.
The duties available are:
- Putting lights on the bikes (It’s a silicone wrap-around band, so no skill required!)
- Putting air into tires (We have a couple of people rove around the line of people, looking for poor tire inflation. It REALLY helps out the bike shop people doing the free bike safety checks.)
- Managing the head of the line – generally telling people where to go
- Helping Connect Transit teach people how to load their bike onto the front of the Connect bus
- Managing the line of people waiting for a bike safety check
To volunteer, please contact Mercy Davison if you’d like to volunteer.
Check out our calendar for other upcoming events!… read more